Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Recap of My Birthday

Ah, what an excellent day...

So after completing my daily routine, I took the 46a downtown to meet Kristin from couchsurfing. At her recommendation,  we went to the Queen of Tarts on Dame Street right across from City Hall. We each had the Hearty Breakfast (pictured below) followed by a raspberry pastry (which was eaten to quickly to be pictured). Everything on my plate, despite my skepticism, was fantastic. Even the toast was above average! The meal included bacon (ham), half a tomato, a potato cake type thing, some sweet tomato relish (similar to ketchup), and a fried egg (aka sunny side up) which I now love. The lesson learned is that you should always try the local flavors or else you might never know what you've been missing out on.

IMG_0825

After breakfast, Kristin and I wandered around until we came across Thomas Street, which was full of shops, markets, butchers, and produce stands. Following Thomas Street, we headed north and ran into Jameson's Distillery. Tours were something like 11EU for students, so we opted to just take our pictures outside instead.

P1000213

P1000221

At this point we parted ways and I continued East to the Samuel Beckett Bridge, the Dublin Famine Memorial, the Wheel of Dublin (which high winds made very exciting), and finally the bay.

After returning home, some friends came over and made an excellent pasta and vegetable dinner which was enjoyed with the finest of wines (for 10EU). We ran out of cups...

P1000255

After that awesome dinner, I joined some Temple friends (one of whom I shared a birthday with) for a pub crawl to top off my day. The group met outside of Trinity College and hit 4-5 pubs over the course of the evening. The group included maybe 6 Americans, 10 Norwegians, 2 Germans, 2 Australians, a Kiwi, and some other people. Some of the pubs were multi-leveled and featured live music on one floor and different genres on other floors. Great craic!  (side note: Australians take a sick pleasure in being able to drink you under the table)(and they don't drink Fosters, I asked.)

P1000262
^^Our guide/shepherd

P1000267
Germans!

This morning I woke up at 10, finally readjusted to time overseas. I did 105 pushups, had porridge and a kiwi, and started to plan the rest of my day which I think will include an adventure to a specific pizza shop in Dublin that my sister might be familiar with...

That's all for now, folks!

-Dave

No comments: